I made pecan pie as I usually do each year and it was met with much appreciation from the family. At the request of my mother added some rum to the pie which I feel detracts from the dish but that is probably just because I don't enjoy any alcohol in any of my food =P. I also made some rolls for the dinner instead of just using the store bought kind. Everyone loved them and thought they tasted really good. Unfortunately they did not come out looking how I wanted them too. They were not the delicious golden brown color but I am going to blame this on our fussy oven because I can hahaha. http://therepressedpastrychef.com/2009/06/06/basic-dinner-rolls/
I also made some wassail juice/cider. It was SO good! I cooked it a crock pot so it stayed hot all day long. the recipe is as follows
8 cups apple juice/cider (I used the kind that isn't from concentrate so it has a milky color)
2 cups cranberry juice
3/4 cup sugar (this made it a bit too sweet for my taste)
2 cinnamon sticks
Set the crockpot to high and pour in the apple juice, cranberry juice, sugar, cinnamon sticks, and all spice. Stud the orange with the cloves maybe 25-30, I didn't count how many I used. Allow the whole mixture to simmer together for an hour and then turn the heat down and keep it warm. The lovely thing is that you can't over cook it. I got this recipe from a lovely website on yuletide celebrations and unfortunately I cannot recall it at this point.
Overall it was a lovely holiday. The family was loud and crazy as always and I have to figure out how to entertain teenage boys tomorrow but it is always a lot of fun and a good holiday overall.
What I am Thankful for (a short list):
- Spell check because it is late I am having issues.
- The chance to go to college and earn an education in something I am interested in without going into debt.
- My parents who love me and support me no matter what I choose to do.
- A love who always listens with interest, supports my decisions, travels and hikes with me, enjoys trying new foods, and who always makes me feel safe and loved.
- Free speech and my rights to choose how I live and what I believe.
- Love and acts of pure kindness